Negativity can really affect your life. It can lead to depression, cause health issues, and destroy your connections with others.
Here are a few tips to help you eliminate the negativity in your life.
- First, figure out what is triggering the negativity. Before you can eliminate it, you have to identify it. You will probably find that much of your negativity comes from those self-tapes you play in your head. You need to find ways to change those tapes from negative to positive. One way of doing this is using affirmations. Just make sure the affirmations are very specifically tied to the actual negative thoughts.
This is where a lot of people limit the effectiveness of affirmations. They use general ones that really are not relevant to their own issues. This is like general praise, it works some of the time, but can be overdone. “Good job” is not as useful as, for example, “I like the way you explain complex subjects without using industry jargon.” It works the same with affirmations, try to stick as close to the negative tape that’s been playing in your head as possible, and change the negative words, phrases and theme to positive ones.
2. Meditation and yoga are both great ways to cut down on the negativity in your life. Both focus on using breathing exercises to replenish your body. Yoga also helps with developing flexibility and strength in your body. Meditation mainly focuses on your mind, but can really help change how you think about things, especially if you combine this with specific, targeted affirmations.
3. Smiling more can help, too, and is a simple way to help eliminate negativity. Studies have shown that you can even sense, when talking on the phone to someone, whether they’re smiling. Smiling is contagious and can not only help you feel more positive, but help those around you to feel more positive as well.
4. Have you ever noticed that when you are in a good mood, and you talk with that one person who is always negative, it brings your mood down? Focus on people in your life who are positive. As much as possible, get rid of, or limit contact with negative people. Sometimes you can’t completely do this, especially if they are family, but try to limit your contact with them as much as you can.
5. Playing the victim keeps you in a negative mindset. By taking control of your life and your choices, you can eliminate a lot of the negativity. No matter how much it seems everything is out of your control, you do have choices. Even if you have disabilities or health conditions, you can find ways to work around them to accomplish what you want to do.
Eliminating negativity helps you to de-emphasize the inevitable challenges that life will throw at you and help you to look forward to new things and additionally, be willing to do what it takes to learn something new.
Don’t let fear keep you from exploring new things – walk toward the unknown, tell yourself that tapping into your inner explorer is a positive challenge – a way to break rules, defy authority, and turn down that negative voice that tells you that “you can’t.”