Yesterday, we talked about caring too much about what others think of you, and what can happen as a result. Today, I want to tell you that I believe it’s healthy to listen to some people’s opinions. There are people in our lives who we can trust to tell us like it is if we tell them our plans, hopes, and dreams. But we often listen to what other random people think as much or more than those trusted advisers.
If you’ve ever heard something like:
- “There’s no money in that – why keep chasing that dream?”
- “Why not get a steady job and retire with a nice pension?”
- “You can’t leave him. We all have to put up with (abuse, negativity, laziness, cheating). At least he pays the bills.”
…please, please, please – read on to learn the benefits of ignoring all the naysayers and doing what you believe is right for you!
- Less stress—what’s more stressful than wanting something so badly you can taste it, and yet hearing from everyone around you – especially those you are close to, and who should be in YOUR corner – that it’s impossible. The struggle it takes, the energy it takes to desire and work toward your goal, and yet, resistance is fierce. By trusting your own instincts and doing it your way, you will encounter less stress in your life, and reduce the negative effects of said stress. You’ll experience freedom and build your self-confidence instead.
- More joy—when we stop letting other people make our decisions for us, we can finally live the life we know we are here to live. The joy from that will fill up our lives in unexpected ways – ways that we deserve to experience, and joy that we deserve to feel!
- Live with integrity—when you are living your authentic life, one that is in alignment with your personal values, you will experience less fear. Less fear of making a mistake, having regrets, not having what you need. When we live with integrity, life becomes much sweeter, and we have clarity about what we should do next.
- Community—once you are living your purpose instead of what others think you should do, you’ll meet others who share common goals and dreams. You’ll experience serendipity—you’ll start randomly meeting people who will further your path and who will support you on it. After that, it will be much easier to let go of friendships or connections with the naysayers in your life.
- Connections—when we are living our authentic truth, we naturally draw people to us. People pick up on the “vibe” of others who are living their life on their own terms. It’s attractive – magnetic, even! So instead of losing out on friendships or connections because you go ahead and do what others have told you is doomed to fail, you’ll increase your connections. They will be more plentiful and deeper than any you’ve ever experienced.
You may have seen me define living your life DivaStyle in my past blog as living your most Dynamic, Intriguing, Vivacious and Audacious life. You will find it much harder to live life DivaStyle if you’re holding back from living your most authentic life – the way YOU want to.
Yes, we sometimes don’t see everything from every angle – but the journey of a lifetime can start with a single step. Baby steps forward are STILL steps forward. Get to steppin’! Take those first steps toward the life you want to live, the life you deserve, the life that will bring you joy and happiness and fulfillment.
Build connections and a community that will SUPPORT you in your journey, not hold you back. YOU DESERVE NOTHING LESS!!!